Heli Hiking & Photo Tour
This is one of our staff favorites because you have time to really experience the stunning beauty of the area. There are dozens of incredible high-alpine locations and glacier landing areas ideally suited for heli-hiking. Most of the locations have a view of at least one glacier, sometimes two or three! Depending on the weather, your specific interest, and your preference for a more leisurely hike or a steep scramble your guide suggests the best location. If you prefer, we can also land on top of a glacier and spend the time hiking around on the ice; a great way to get a unique insight in glaciers and all their ‘cool’ features. After a quick gear check, we pack up our lunches (included) and board the helicopter and whisk you to the location of choice.
Your guide will help you out of the helicopter, that zips back to the lodge and complete silence quickly surrounds you. Take in the amazing scenery and go explore with your guide for 4 hours. This tour is all about you: let us know when you would like to stop and take a break, pictures, run up the ridge to see what is back there (more mountains and glaciers, but hey – go for it). We typically have small groups of 2-4 guests, but never more than 6 guests per guide. If you have a larger group we break up into smaller groups with multiple guides and if you like in different locations to ensure an optimum wilderness experience.
Often times we have photographers with tripods, multiple camera bodies and big lenses and they usually want to stay close to the landing zone due to the amount of gear. Your guide is perfectly happy waiting with you for just the right light, that cloud to move into position, or for the wildlife to get just a bit closer while looking out for your comfort and safety.
* Tours departing from the Knik River Lodge base have transfers available from select Anchorage locations for $49 per person round trip for our 10:15am, 12:30pm and 4:00pm departure times. The transfers can be booked online when you book your tour. Please refer to our FAQs page for detailed pickup information, or contact us for more information.
- Helicopter flight over the majestic Chugach Range
- Includes a guided, 4-hour hike above timber line or on the glacier, lunch is provided
- Fly down the Great Gorge of the Knik, awarded National Landmark status for its beauty
- Small group size, very personal tour and adaptable to your fitness level and desires
Take a look at some of our most recent photos from this tour.
Great helicopter experience
Flew with Pablo to the glacier. Fantastic flying experience. Highly recommend this trip and adventure. Pablo wasn't just there to fly us to the glacier, he went out of his way to show us some of the scenic views. He also did a few circles over the scenic sights so people on both sides of the helicopter had an opportunity for great photos. Safety was treated very seriously.
Definitely recommend this company for any helicopter flights.