Fly by helicopter to Lake George, awarded Natural Landmark status for its scenic beauty. On the way, admire the mighty Knik Glacier from the helicopter. We often see wildlife; bears, moose and mountain goats are all observed daily. As the helicopter descents towards the lake you’ll realize the scale of the glacier and icebergs; everything out here is XXL size! Some of the ‘bergs’ are the size of apartment buildings and may take several years to melt.
Once the helicopter sets down your guide will get you outfitted with life jackets and walk you down a short ladder to the boat. This is a 15.5′ long Zodiacstyle boat, as used by Special Forces. It is equipped with a small, super quiet 4-stroke outboard motor. Within minutes you’ll be on your way to see the icebergs up close. We’ll listen to the ice cracking and hopefully watch some big chunks fall into the lake. Take a piece of glacier ice back to put in your favorite drink tonight. Soon the massive icefall of Colony Glacier comes into view and you’ll find yourself surrounded by giant icy monoliths. Some of the bergs are smooth and deep blue, others are rough and bright white. We’ll get close to some big bergs (as long as it’s safe) – usually within 100′. Since it’s an open boat you have great visibility all around, so get ready for lots of pictures of these incredible sculptures of nature.
Our life jackets are fully insulated marine grade ‘floater jackets’, approved by the Coast Guard for use on the ocean. The jackets will keep you safe and warm and have a full hood for those cooler days out there. On the way back, we can stop at the lower Knik Glacier and land right on top of the glacier (optional, but totally worth it) and spend a half hour exploring with your pilot/guide. This offers a whole new perspective of the glacier, with melt pools, cracks and deep blue holes that seem to go down forever. One of our clients’ favorite tours!
* Tours departing from the Knik River Valley base have transfers available from select Anchorage locations for $49 per person round trip for our 10:15am, 12:30pm and 4:00pm departure times. The transfers can be booked online when you book your tour. Please refer to our FAQs page for detailed pickup information, or contact us for more information.
- Helicopter tour over the majestic Chugach Range & Knik Glacier
- Birds eye views of crevasses, glacial rivers and water falls
- Zodiac tour on Lake George to see the giant icebergs
- Fly down the Great Gorge or the Knik
- We often see moose, Dall sheep and bears on this trip
Take a look at some of our most recent photos from this tour.